Skip to content

A Comprehensive Guide to

E-1 Treaty Trader Visas

Navigating the Path to U.S. Business Success & Immigration Prosperity

Welcome to DeMine Immigration Law Firm, your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of U.S. immigration. As advocates for investors and entrepreneurs, we recognize the importance of finding the right visa to facilitate your business goals. In this guide, we will delve into the E-1 visa – a key pathway for individuals engaged in substantial international trade. Our goal is to provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the E-1 visa, empowering you to make informed decisions.

What is an E-1 visa and who is it for?

The E-1 visa, also known as the Treaty Trader visa, is designed for individuals engaged in substantial international trade between the United States and their home country. This visa is established under a treaty of commerce and navigation between the U.S. and the applicant's country of nationality.

What is the typical timeline for the E-1 visa?

The timeline for obtaining an E-1 visa can vary based on individual circumstances and processing times. On average, the process may take several weeks to a few months. Initial processing times depend on the U.S. embassy or consulate where the application is submitted, as well as the volume of applications they are handling.

What is the cost for the E-1 visa?

The cost associated with the E-1 visa includes the filing fee for Form DS-160, the visa application form, and any additional costs associated with legal representation, document preparation, and related services. At DeMine Immigration Law Firm, we provide transparent fee structures and work closely with our clients to ensure they are fully aware of all associated costs.

What is the eligibility for the E-1 visa?

To qualify for the E-1 visa, applicants must meet specific criteria, including:
  1. Nationality: The applicant must be a national of a country that has a treaty of commerce and navigation with the United States.
  2. Substantial Trade: There must be a substantial and continuous exchange of goods, services, or technology between the U.S. and the applicant's home country.
  3. Principal Trader: The applicant must be a principal trader, either an individual or a company with at least 50% ownership by nationals of the treaty country.


How to apply for the E-1 visa?

The application process for the E-1 visa involves several key steps:
  1. Treaty Trader Application: The applicant or their employer submits Form DS-160 online, paying the required visa application fee.
  2. Supporting Documentation: Provide supporting documentation, including evidence of substantial trade, ownership, and the treaty relationship between the U.S. and the applicant's home country.
  3. Visa Interview: Schedule and attend a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in the home country.
  4. Approval and Entry: If approved, the applicant can enter the U.S. to engage in substantial trade activities.


Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply for an E-1 visa if my country doesn't have a treaty with the U.S.?
No, the E-1 visa is available only to nationals of countries that have a treaty of commerce and navigation with the United States.
Is there a minimum amount of trade required for the E-1 visa?
While there is no specific minimum, the trade must be substantial, continuous, and meet the requirements of the treaty.
Can family members accompany E-1 visa holders?
Yes, spouses and unmarried children under 21 can accompany E-1 visa holders to the U.S.
Can I change my status to E-1 while in the U.S.?
In some cases, individuals already in the U.S. may apply to change their status to E-1. However, consulting with an immigration attorney is crucial.
Can I work for multiple employers on an E-1 visa?
E-1 visa holders can only work for the employer or business that is the principal trader as per the treaty.
Is there a cap on the number of E-1 visas issued annually?

There is no specific annual cap for E-1 visas. The number of visas issued depends on the volume of qualified applicants.

Can I renew my E-1 visa indefinitely?
E-1 visa holders can apply for extensions as long as the qualifying trade continues to meet the treaty requirements.
Can I apply for a Green Card (permanent residency) with an E-1 visa?
E-1 visa holders typically do not have a direct path to a Green Card. Consulting with an immigration attorney is recommended for personalized guidance.
What happens if my E-1 visa application is denied?
If the application is denied, our firm can assess the reasons for denial and explore potential legal remedies, including appeals or reapplication with additional evidence.


Navigating the E-1 visa process requires careful consideration of treaty requirements and trade activities. At DeMine Immigration Law Firm, we stand ready to guide you through every step of the E-1 visa application process, ensuring a smooth and successful journey towards establishing your international trade presence in the United States.

E-1 Visa EBook CTA

Investor & Business Visas

E-1 VISA-1